Wednesday 6 February 2013

Sharp and bright

There are definitely signs of life in the garden. The rhubarb is more or less indestructable - we moved it a few weeks ago to make way for a shed and it seems quite happy in its new spot. Last year there was lots of it so I got plenty of compote, cake (I use Nigella's Damp Apple and Almond Cake recipe, substituting apple for rhubarb) and crumble. And the colour's so vivid - zingy pink and acid green.


It was sunny and bright today but bitterly cold. I took Joe out to Culcheth for a few provisions and a quick walk. Of course, I had a good look in people's gardens and spotted lots of snowdrops and green shoots poking their way out of the soil.


And we had hot and sour soup for tea - suitably sharp, warming flavours for a day as cold as today. I could eat this a few times a week. Noodles, ginger, chilli, pork, noodles, lime juice, nam pla, soy, garlic, mushrooms, baby corn, pak choi. Another Nigella recipe (slightly modified). Eaten by candlelight from my favourite bowls.


1 comment:

  1. Me too - nice to see a bit of colour. Speaking of colour, I've spotted a few kingfishers as my parents had a little boat on the Lancaster canal. But they're very elusive birds. I literally saw a flash of turquoise and that was it.
    I hope when you see one, you get a good long look!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...