Tuesday 11 July 2017

Swan song


So here we are: almost mid July already. The rich, lush green of early summer has given way to golds and purples and pinks. Painterly flowers, too - I've currently got a vase of sunflowers in the window (and the petals above are from a collapsed bunch of peonies, still beautiful after they finally gave up the ghost).


We've been out and about an awful lot lately. Two or three walks each day on a weekend is pretty routine, particularly when it's dry. Joe wakes very early indeed so those days are long. 


But I've had time to think about other things, this blog in particular. It's not the first time I've questioned where I'm going with it. Not that I need to be going anywhere with it, but realistically something has to give. In between caring for Joe, looking after the house, family commitments, a very modest social life, my writing for Creative Countryside and trying to grow a small business - which entails a lot of work - it feels as though Mitenska is becoming increasingly sidelined.


That makes me feel bad. I'm struggling to get around to reading other blogs, too. Again: bad.

You see, in the four-and-a-half years I've been writing this blog, over the course of 436 posts, I've met some really wonderful people. Some I've had the joy of meeting in person, others I've got to know through their own blogs and through commenting. It really is a community on here.

People have helped me out in so many ways: practically, with technical issues. Emotionally too. Back in December 2012 Joe was just three months old. I've written my fair share of angst-ridden posts (and received lots of support from readers and fellow bloggers).


During this time I've moved house three times, had a few health worries, lost my grandmother and seen my brother struggle to cope after the death of his partner. Of course, the biggest - and toughest - event was my mum being diagnosed with cancer in 2014, and her passing away that September.

There have been bittersweet experiences and many milestones, such as Joe starting preschool and, last year, actual school. A few weeks ago I wandered around my parent's house (their home for over twenty years) for the last time before it was sold.

And I've shared so many good things here too. Holidays, family memories, adventures. Starting my own business after rediscovering my love of drawing and painting. Learning how to create prints. Documenting little details: where we've walked, what's growing, what we've been eating and reading and making.


So, what next?

A lot, as it happens. I'm going to be blogging over at Frond & Feather. I may keep my Mitenska Instagram account as a place I can still record our little goings-on around here. I'm busy working on my business: not just painting, drawing and printmaking but everything else that goes with it. Social media updates, planning, marketing.

We're putting the house up for sale at the end of August for a big move north of the border. It's a huge leap but we'll do it somehow.

And Mitenska is actually metamorphosising. It'll be taking an entirely new form, something I've wanted to do for a very long time. One lesson I've learned during these past four years: life's short and can take unexpected turns. So I'm now doing things rather than just dreaming about them.

Thank you for reading and commenting. I really appreciate it and have loved 'meeting' you all. 

I can still be found on Pinterest, Twitter, my other Instagram account, Facebook, Creative Countryside and, of course, at Frond & Feather.

Sarah x



15 comments:

  1. What a lovely last post Sarah. I'm sorry to see you go as I feel I have got to know you and your family a little over the years and I have really enjoyed seeing your beautiful photos, chronicling the changing seasons in your part of the world and reading about Joe's progress, but I understand how difficult it is to juggle everything in a busy life and somethings have to go. Thank you too for all your lovely comments on my own blog. I shall look forward to keeping up with you on Instagram and Frond and Feather, so it's really au revoir and not goodbye! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, I'm sad to say goodbye to Mitenska, but I completely understand. There just aren't enough hours in the day to do everything. I'm glad you'll still be around in one form or another. Good luck with your business and with your move north. Exciting times ahead! I'm wishing you much happiness and success, and I'm so glad to have met you here in the blogging community. I shall try and stay in touch. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, do! It's sad to leave this blog behind in some ways as it's been a part of my life for a while now and has helped me through some very tough times. I'll miss keeping it as a journal, too. But yes, there's just too much going on right now. I'm glad we 'met' too. Good luck to you in the future xx

      Delete
  3. I have to confess to being an avid follower even if I haven't commented much! Good luck with the move. Do hope you post some of your lovely photos from your new home :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. have added your Frond and Feather to my Feedly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Diana - and thank you for reading and commenting. It means a lot.

      Delete
  5. It has been a blast! I am of course already following your other ways of being in touch, so I will miss you here, but see you there. All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have loved reading Mitenska, and while I was initially too shy to comment, I have greatly enjoyed reading your posts over the years. However, I fully understand the need to move on and it is never good when something becomes a thing to feel guilty about neglecting. I already love Frond and Feather (it looks beautiful!) and shall enjoy reading of your new adventures. I wish you every success and doing, not dreaming, is definitely better!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sarah, I love Mitenska. It's a source of inspiration, a place of beauty.I'll miss it, but you're going into new things and after all, that's what our journey in life should take us: new horizons, new experiences. Thanks for so much pleasurable reading and for sharing your daily adventures with us. I will certainly follow Frond and Feather. Good luck!🍀

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sorry to see you go Sarah as I have really enjoyed reading your blog and looking at your beautiful photos, but I can quite understand the pressures of a busy life. I hope to keep up to date with your news via Instagram and Frond and Feather, so really it's just 'au revoir' rather than goodbye! xx (p.s. I hope this is not a duplicate comment, as I did post one yesterday, but think it may have disappeared into the ether.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wishing you well Sarah xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'll miss Mitenska, but I am glad that you will remain present online. I really like how you write and your entire aesthetics. Wishing you and your family all the best in your new adventures! Hugs from Bosnia

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am sorry that I am one of the silent majority of nonbloggers who have followed you all this time. I have truly enjoyed watching the changes in Joe, the growth of your business. I shall miss you. All things grow and change. God bless and keep you and all your family.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Sarah, just wanted to let you know how much I enjoyed your blog, it is such a relaxing, lovely read with great photographs. I enjoy reading about the nature/seasons from the other side of the world. I understand how time consuming it must be and appreciate you making the effort. I look forward to following Frond and Feather which is just as lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have always loved my visits here and have loved to meet you! Wishing you luck for your big move and please stop by if you are passing Glasgow. I'll see you over at Frond & Feather. x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...