Thursday 16 April 2015

Many things, all small



I did warn you there'd be picture-heavy posts... Next week I'm hoping to lay off the collages a bit and start getting some more structure to things again. I like structure. Already I'm thinking about Food Memories posts, Elegant Economy ideas and so on.

This reflects the fact that things are slowly settling down after the last few weeks. It's still tough and there's much to do but the initial feeling that everything was somehow spinning out of control has started to recede.

And I've been giving a lot of thought to therapeutic things, small things, that help you feel a little bit more anchored when life gets stormy. Here's what's helped me cope a little better lately:


Noticing details. Particularly those outdoors: the petals scattered down from the tree next door; magnolias flowering (mine's just starting to and I'm on bud watch); leaves unfurling.


I did say small, didn't I? A tiny handknit for a tiny girl arrived in the post courtesy of Jay's auntie. 


Swooning over flowering currant bushes. Maybe I'm a bit odd, but I do actually like the smell.


Creating. Drawing, making sun prints, carving a little stamp for home-made Easter cards. I find that this sort of stuff which requires a process is very absorbing and de-stressing. Same goes for baking: reading a recipe, weighing, measuring. And planting seeds and cuttings too.


Of course, I've written about the therapeutic benefits of walking outdoors. Of seeing and breathing in all that green. And yellow. And pink...


A few little treats don't hurt either. Jay bought me a shopping bag. My stepdad brought a miniature rose over on his last visit. And yes, that is another new notebook. 


Spring has been awakening my senses. The colours, the (occasional) warmth, the breezes. And the sounds of running water, rain showers and birdsong. A family of birds are currently nesting right outside our bedroom window. I have to keep telling myself that incessant cheeping at daybreak is preferable to the sound of an alarm clock.


Pottering about in the garden is another thing I find relaxing. Yellow flowers aren't usually a favourite of mine but at this time of year I do actually like them. These yellow-tipped fritillaries are very lovely; we also have some Imperialis ones which have now started to die back (but you can read about them here in my latest Garlic and Sapphire post if you'd like).


It goes without saying that seeing Joe so full of happiness lifts me up no end. There's a particular lane full of the biggest, muddiest puddles and he loves to visit. Maybe we should film him splashing his way from one end to the other.


I'm not usually much of a pink fan either, but again... the spring effect. The peonies on the left remind me of rhubarb. And we've had rhubarb cake already. The leftover stewed fruit has been frozen into lollies.


I'm not the only one who goes seeking out little details. Joe's eyesight is incredible. He notices everything. It's lovely to see him making new discoveries. That sense of wonder... so sweet.


I'm a huge advocate of reading for escapism. Poetry always works, but I'm currently re-reading Rosamund Pilcher's September. It's slightly dull if I'm honest and very reminiscent of when it was published (1990). But slow books have a pleasantly soporific effect on me, a bit like Monty Don's voice.

And in keeping with the early '90s theme, we recently procured the entire Twin Peaks box set. It's a whopping 29 episodes long. You know when there are TV series you wish you'd watched but never did? Well, this is one of them. It's a bit creepy, a bit odd and that theme music sticks in your brain. But it's good to know we've got some enjoyable viewing of an evening. 


Again, thank you for all your kind comments lately. They have helped, just like all these other little things. 

Weekend's almost upon us. I hope you enjoy yours.



33 comments:

  1. I love spotting details when I walk around too, and managing to take such beautiful pictures of them is great... thanks for sharing!
    I wish you a lovely weekend, and hope you and all your family get to feel better with time... xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've tried to capture those black sprouty buds, unsuccessfully. Too windy in this part of the world. Swooning over flowers is a lovey way to pass time :-) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't even know what those black knotty buds are; I'll keep an eye on the tree and find out!

      Delete
  3. This is hands down the best spring post I've seen so far. Your pictures are absolutely beautiful.
    Kaylee
    www.goldandhearts.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautiful pictures, especially the pink blossom. Keep doing what you are doing! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to admit, I think that was my favourite photo of the lot :) x

      Delete
  5. you're finding lovely ways to de-stress, I'm glad things are becoming easier x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - they are getting a little easier now the initial shock has subsided.

      Delete
  6. A new notebook, how lovely, it's been weeks since I've had a new notebook... I know exactly what you mean about the therapeutic value of walking in the countryside, it never fails to lift my mood. How sweet your little man looks splashing in his puddles. It doesn't get much better than that when you're little does it. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't - and we're heading for the woods and the stream this evening! His dad's asked us to wait until he's home from work so we can all go. I think we're all children deep down! x

      Delete
  7. Beautiful spring post Sarah! I too like the smell of flowering currant. The blooms are so pretty. Spring has been arriving here slowly but surely. I love listening to all the birdsong. Hope you enjoy your weekend, Bee xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bee. I'm going to buy a flowering currant for the new house.x

      Delete
  8. I just love your photographs, could have them all tucked a way in a book, simple.. one word to invite you to look in side....
    Amanda xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know what you mean about the soporific effect of September and other RP books, that is why I like them! I find them calming and relaxing in that way. I am glad that you are enjoying your walks and the comfort that they bring. Oh, but what is this about a notebook, it sounds as though think there could be too many notebooks, surely there could never be too many notebooks!! I love them! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! There's just something about them...

      Delete
  10. Lovely, lovely post. I hope you continue to de-stress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm finding balance now but sleep eludes me. Hopefully I'll get a rhythm back again.

      Delete
  11. Your photos are so beautiful and show what a wonder nature is and how it can calm and soothe in a way that nothing else can. I love it when children start to join in that wonder and noticing everything although it can make a walk a bit cold in the cooler months as they want to stop and check out everything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we have to allow extra time to get anywhere now! Everything has to be closely examined. It's very sweet but sometimes I think if we walked any slower we'd actually be going backwards...

      Delete
  12. I'm glad you are finding peace and hope in the small things and such beautiful photos x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It's a hopeful time of year and the recent sunshine has really helped x

      Delete
  13. This is a beautiful post and it rings many bells for me. Yet again, I found myself thinking that I would just have to give up tending to the garden. I just don't have time and was getting stressed. But of course, getting stuck in and down on my hands and knees and noticing all the little/major changes in nature is so calming and humbling. Not to mention addictive! I also find puddle hopping a super fun and stress busting. I haven't done it for a few years now...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Get your wellies on while we still have April showers! (As though we won't get rain in the summer - unlikely). I do enjoy pottering in the garden and can lose whole hours to it, given half the chance.

      Delete
  14. It reminds me of the saying that "Happiness is a multitude of small delights". It is the little things that get us through the difficult times and you seem to have found a lovely collection of small things. A lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - and I've never heard that saying before. It's very true though.

      Delete
  15. Small things are what lift me too, one by one they demand limited time and attention yet each lifts the heart. Wishing you a restorative week m'dear x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Annie. I'm rushed off my feet but I'm needed and things will settle down at some point. They'll have to, we're off to Scotland next month for a break :) x

      Delete
  16. Such a lovely post and wonderful photographs as usual Sarah. I hope you're a bit lighter this week...xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Some days are hectic, others not so much... I did have a large G and T on Monday evening though and that was most relaxing x

      Delete
  17. I found concentrating on the small, simple but important things helped me through the past few years, your photographs are lovely as always, I especially like the ladybird on the wee lads hand, simple but beautiful :) stay strong

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...