Thursday 31 July 2014

July


In an attempt to avoid collage overload, a departure from my usual end-of-month photo extravaganza. Instead: just the three. I think they illustrate July around here perfectly. Hot days, roses, floral scents emanating from sun-warmed petals... and then the Weather sets in.

The Weather. In my mind it really does merit that W as it's such a big part of life here in the Valley. And right now it's made a return to what we locals know best: mizzle, brooding skies, whippy breezes. Yesterday Joe and I took a little walk and managed to avoid the rain (this morning it's here and there's no escaping it). I don't mind too much. For now. Ask me again in a few days*. 


As much as I'm savouring the coming of autumn we still have a long, potentially hot (who knows?) August to go. And it should be a good one - Joe's second birthday is right at the very end of it. We're hoping my mum's well enough to accompany us to the seaside for a celebratory picnic. It may be a windswept affair.

I also have some nice bloggy plans coming up. And as the month goes on I'm going to be compiling a list  - yes, another one - of all the things I love about autumn, and all the things I'd like to do. So not so much a to-do list in terms of chores and jobs, as one filled with things which are fun, relaxing and creative.


So this is just a quick post to bid July goodbye, wave hello to August... and now I'm off to find my wellies.

*Most playgroups and the like are closed for the summer and we may have to brave one of those indoor play centres. 



13 comments:

  1. The Weather is similar here in Northern Ireland. Don't go out without your brolly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always around - in fact we own three, just to be on the safe side!

      Delete
  2. It sounds like you're loving the summer, whatever the weather. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, a seaside picnic, I like the sound of that (we never seem to eat anything other than bags of chips at the beach). I've just written a list of all the things I want to do in autumn. Can't wait to start the ticking off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me neither!
      As for the beach - I suspect we'll end up at the chip shop to be honest. I'm secretly hoping for a bracing day to justify it. And this being the Lancashire coast it's pretty likely my wish will be granted!

      Delete
  4. What were waterproofs invented for if not to brave any sort of weather? There is no bad weather, only the wrong clothes! (at least, in the UK; people who live in Typhoon and Hurricane areas might complain)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's a Scandinavian statement if I'm not mistaken (the joys of the internet) and one I think makes a lot of sense. In fact I often repeat it to myself when thinking about autumn and winter.
      I always envy Joe all wrapped up in his buggy with the waterproof cover over the top.

      Delete
  5. I love the idea of a list about autumn and I look forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer! It's being compiled and is quite lengthy already :)

      Delete
  6. Oh how I love autumn too. My favourite season. I am beginning to feel the turn here too. Cooler temperatures, rain and gusty breezes! Let's hope we see some more sunshine though. Have a lovely weekend ... Bee xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope that you have a great August Sarah! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. It has been a beautiful month, but like you I am slightly glad the weather has cooled and the garden certainly needs the rain. We haven't had any for two months now! Hope August is another wonderful month :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that rose! I too shudder at the thought of soft play but both girls love it!! Xx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...