Sunday 3 November 2013

The North Wind Doth Blow...


...But we haven't had snow. It just feels very cold. Icy toes cold. Sheepsking-rugs-in-the-bedroom cold (I could only do this because I picked up a new rug yesterday for in front of the fire, allowing a bit of rug rotation).


We went over to Lancs yesterday and did some food shopping: nice things like rosy apples, bunches of fresh dill and thyme, and a big bag of black peas. It was chilly. I forgot to take gloves.



We indulged in bacon barms, shared a cone of chips and somehow managed to eat cake as well. And later we had our first foray into the world of Quorn. Pieces, to be precise. In a curry. It was actually very tasty - we may make it a regular thing.

I think I was more impressed than Jay; he's a serious carnivore.


We didn't make it to a bonfire last night due to the howling wind and driving rain. Although there's a nice one on Tuesday evening so maybe we'll find our way there.


In honour of the season I strung some pine cones together and hung them over the fire and across the bedroom wall. Who says wreaths and garlands are only for Christmas time? They look far nicer than they did piled up in a jar on the kitchen windowsill. And I like the way they reflect in the mantel mirror.

Linking in with this week's Nature in the Home over at Little Green Shed.

8 comments:

  1. Love the pine cone garland - it looks great against the mirror. We might have to go collecting this week. I'm intrigued by the black peas you bought too? x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, maybe they're a Northern thing? They seem to appear around this time of year and are actually dried peas which are brown (not black) and pale inside. You just boil them for a long time until they're soft then eat them with vinegar.
      That sounds very Northern, doesn't it? I draw the line at tripe though!

      Delete
  2. Ha, brilliantly and aptly, the screen captcha word was Quorn when I submitted that comment! I've also just seen you've added my little corner of the internet to your favourite places to visit - thank you! V kind! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, it's freezing here too. I noticed it when I put the bin out (the glamour). Love your pine cone garland.

    Quorn pieces in curry reminds me of my husband - when I first met him he was a vegetarian and he used to cook this for me (with a jar of ready made curry sauce) to impress me I think, or maybe it was the only dish in his repertoire. Either way it worked. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was raving about it - apparently the mince is quite good in lasagne too. I think I'd be impressed if someone made me a curry, Quorn or not. And curry sauce from a jar is no bad thing - especially compared to some of my past efforts!

      Delete
  4. The most simple decorations are often the most effective ... these are quietly beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you... it seemed a shame to wait until Christmas before I hung them up!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...