Tuesday 1 October 2013

Seasonal goings-on


So I've been enjoying a little break from the frenzied crafting of late but this morning was still a busy one. The Children's Society have recently opened a shop locally and I'm volunteering for a few hours each week (doing the window and shop displays) so I had to go and do the health and safety training. It was - fortunately - informal, fairly quick and a good opportunity to meet some nice people.

Joe spent some time with his grandad while I got to grips with the finer points of fire exits then I went to collect him and we had a little walk. It was windy and fresh and we found quite possibly the best horse chestnut tree ever. Either that or we timed things perfectly: the wind, the time of year - it was literally raining conkers and they were at that point where as soon as they hit the ground they burst out of their spiky casings.

I bought a book from the charity shop. It looks to be brand new and unread, and now I've started reading properly again at night I'm always on the lookout for something to get stuck into.


When Joe had his afternoon nap I took the opportunity to put my feet up with a cup of tea and a blanket and watch an episode of Marple. It's quite satisfying when you know the housework's in order and there isn't a craft fair around the corner requiring copious amounts of making to be done.

Later on I stewed some damsons with cinnamon, sugar and cloves. The kitchen took on a mulled wine aroma. And that got me thinking about seasonal treats: treacle toffee, parkin, toffee apples... we've eaten really well this past week. I made some sorrel soup (another evocative smell, this time of Grandma Soltanowicz's kitchen), beef stew and fried chicken with mashed potatoes. All good stuff for keeping the cold out.

And sleeping under the heavy feather quilt feels very indulgent. The only problem is, it's really hard to get out from under it in the mornings...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...