Monday 28 October 2013

Hygge


Hygge: it's a Danish term which roughly translates as 'cosiness' and refers to good food, good company, warmth and soft lighting. In other words, a feel-good approach to the dark, cold months which are fast approaching.


We've all been battening down the hatches of late, what with the storms and rain and gloom. I had the sewing machine out yesterday and made some cushion covers with fabric remnants. Perfect for a cosy winter bed.


I was caught twice in downpours today, despite having an umbrella and wearing a parka, woolly hat and big boots. When I got home I had pilchards and toast and a cup of tea. It helped.


The fairy lights in the kitchen have added to the hygge at home. As have Gardener's World and hot baths. Oh, and an order for Narcissus Paperwhite. I'm looking forward to a display of those on the mantelpiece come Christmas.


Speaking of which... I was at a local garden centre 'lifestyle store' recently and they were having their Grand Christmas Opening that very afternoon (9th of October). Barely even a nod to Halloween. I got Joe and myself out of there well before midday. But now there's no escaping it I suppose: TV adverts, shop windows... as yet the only whiff of it in this house is the smell of satsumas. I'm hoping to keep it that way until December. We've still got bonfire night to go!



Until then we'll be keeping warm, eating well and taking it easy when we can (not that often with a one-year-old crashing around). 


The wardrobe's been cleared of summer clothes. The warm pyjamas are back in circulation. And Joe's wearing lots of layers. Can't let those little fingers and toes get chilly.

10 comments:

  1. I LOVE the idea of hygge - such a good idea for cheering up long, cold evenings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're going to get longer and colder too... I actually considered a low-carb diet last week. This is definitely not the time of year for it!

      Delete
  2. I remember when Sue posted about hygge last year ... such a wonderful word, and you certainly look to be all hunkered down and cosied up chez Mitenska :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We certainly are - and I'll be heading over to the Quince Tree to read Sue's take on hygge :)

      Delete
  3. Can I come and live in your house please? It all looks and sounds so lovely. I love the word "hygge" and think I wrote a post with the same title about this time last year. It's the best way to combat the onset of shorter, darker days. And pilchards on toast...oh yum. I haven't had that for years! Must buy pilchards tomorrow... x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pilchards are great - we had them a lot when I was little. Comfort food in a tin!
      At the risk of sounding all self-effacing and British, our house really isn't all that - it's small (really very small) and doesn't have any redeeming features by way of character. Probably because it was built around 1980... still, I like to make it homey. We're planning on moving as soon as we can but don't have great aspirations. Just somewhere a bit more rural. Watch this space :)

      Delete
  4. I find the clocks changing bring about my need for 'hygge'...I like that I live in a place where we can appreciate all the seasons although I'm always start longing for spring and the longer days coming into January. That's a bit contrary really isn't it?
    Have you managed to keep a hat on your little one? Neither of my girls will tolerate one for more than a matter of minutes....even ones with a strap or tie...if I want them to!! The older one will wear a hat now....if she chooses too and the younger one will do if it's put on by her sister! :) Maybe contrary-ness is genetic?
    The little robin is gorgeous.
    N

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - the robin was bought maybe 30 years ago by my mum and I promptly broke it's tail off (now messily held in place with Superglue).
      Joe won't wear hats any more - although he hasn't figured out Velcro yet. Having said that he wore one on our walk today (it fits very snugly) AND mittens. I think one sort of cancelled out the other. He couldn't remove the hat with bulky hands.
      They have funny little ways, don't they? I love it. Although not when he eats his lunch nicely for his grandparents and not for me... I do struggle to tell him off and keep a straight face. Must work on that!

      Delete
  5. These photos are so amazing hygge! Thank you for sharing, def keeping me cozy on this frigid day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello! Nice to meet you - another visitor from the US! Lovely blog you have too.

    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...