Monday 29 April 2013

A little project


A few weeks ago we went to Accrington and I posted about this shop. We also went in a few junk shops and I picked up this little sewing box for £5...


It was in a bit of a state and not even particularly good quality; I think the legs are the only parts made of solid wood and the rest is veneer. But I liked its shape and thought it might make a nice little project.


I don't actually need a sewing box. This is the right size for keeping knitting in though...


It's taken a while due to the intermittent nature of sanding, priming, painting and reupholstering. A lot has been weather (and baby) dependent. But it's finished and I'm quite pleased with the result.


I padded the lid and covered it with a retro floral fabric (the veneer was a bit too damaged to sand back and re-paint).


I also re-lined the inside by wrapping card in fabric (the bottom of some too-long curtains) and fixing the covered panels into place with a hot glue gun and stapler. 

It isn't a knitting box either. It now houses my little laptop, some notebooks and a pen. It's my blogging box and it lives next to my nesting spot. There's nothing quite like finishing a project and crossing it off the list, is there?

10 comments:

  1. An amazing transformation. Maybe everyone should have a blogging box!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! I'm a bit obsessive when it comes to organising but it's good to have everything in one place...

      Delete
  2. clever girl ! it looks great
    susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It took a while but I was determined to finish it at the weekend. Maybe the next project will just be a straightforward sanding down and repainting job... during the summer!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you. It's nice to give something neglected a new lease of life.

      Delete
  4. That looks lovely, you've done a great job and that fabric is rather beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Plenty of fabric left too, am thinking about what I can do with it...

      Delete
  5. Oh my, what a delight, before and after. I'd have been fighting you for it if we'd been in the same shop at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That place was an Aladdin's cave! Junk furniture piled high, mostly awful stuff but a few gems. And all donated too so whatever you spend goes to help the homeless.

      Feel-good thrifting!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...