Monday 7 January 2013

Philosophy/manifesto

This blog seems to have found its own direction... I'm the kind of person who feels most comfortable when things are calm, organised, quiet... chaos upsets me. You know what I mean by chaos - the January sales, noisy neighbours, that kind of thing.

I spend a lot of time organising and simplifying, or planning to. I'm constantly trying to thin out my Stuff. Because less Stuff means more time and energy for the important things, like family and friends and taking care of yourself.

I started out this year thinking about all this. And although I don't want to impose any rules on myself, there are some ideals I have and would like to try and live by:

1. Don't buy new stuff (obvious exceptions include food, toiletries, things for the baby). Saves on space, money and landfill.

2. Re-use, re-purpose and recycle as much as possible.

3. Upcycle and make things (realistically, I'm never going to have the time to make bread or cleaning products or candles. I'm not completely delusional).

4. Don't eat junk (we're pretty good at this anyway).

Of course, there will always be exceptions. Nobody's perfect. But the fact is we live in a very small house, we have big plans and we want to save money this year.



And the best things in life are free. Don't let the media tell you otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...