Wednesday 11 February 2015

Midweek miscellany


Wednesday's here again. And it's a short week in a sense as Jay's booked tomorrow and Friday off. Perhaps a long weekend. Actually, both of those things.

Last weekend seems ages ago for some reason. It was a busy one with lots of family activity: canalside walks, steam train adventures, food. Oh, the food. On Saturday we had lunch at a local restaurant and it was wonderful: the panoramic views, the sense of occasion (we rarely eat out) and the pudding. Orange and cardamom bread and butter pudding with vanilla creme anglaise. Heaven on a plate.


In other food news, we have consumed rather a lot of cream. Mushrooms cooked in it. Meatballs in a cream and mustard sauce. Both rich, both delicious. But I'm having a bit of a break now. It seems February's not the best month for dieting either - I'm getting very excited about next week's pancake-based festivities.


Earlier this week Joe and I walked into Ramsbottom. He had a doctor's appointment which resulted in a prescription for antibiotics for an ear infection. These nasty germs do seem to be haunting us at the moment. Still, he's his usual happy self most of the time. He was very pleased that we caught the bus home and even more so that it was a double decker.

While we were out I did that thing where you pick up a few extra provisions: fat sausages from the butcher and a loaf of sourdough from the little supermarket. They had dinky pots of miniature daffodils and very reasonably-priced hydrangea bulbs too so I added some to my basket. Shopping off-list during the week is something I try to avoid but my purchases didn't cost very much so no guilt.


I've been reading in the evenings. I'm currently deep into The Mitfords: Letters Between Six Sisters. But as a little diversion I read The Velveteen Rabbit. I spotted it in the library and had always meant to read it. The illustrations are beautiful. Perhaps a future purchase for Joe.


In other news: I've been asked to be the official photographer at a wedding in August. I've photographed weddings for family before now, just casually-taken snaps. But this is my first 'proper' wedding. It actually sounds like it'll suit me just fine; the bride-to-be is a friend and she wants candid shots rather than posed ones. Better get practising!


The snow has all but gone now. We've been out looking for signs of the coming spring and they're there: buds, shoots. I picked a few snowdrops this afternoon. Ours actually grow in a raised bed behind the garden wall so you don't get to see them unless you're putting the rubbish out. They're fascinating things; they were tightly closed but within minutes of being indoors opened fully. The tiniest jar I could find had lavender harvested from last summer in it, so that's now decanted into a little teacup. It smells gorgeous.

I'd just like to say I really enjoyed reading your comments on my last post. Seems we're all soup-lovers. And Heinz are responsible for a lot of childhood memories!


26 comments:

  1. Might they have been hyacinth bulbs? My son bought me yellow tulips yesterday. A lovely surprise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tulips are wonderful, aren't they? No doubt there'll be a vase of them on the table here sooner or later...

      Delete
  2. That first photo is absolutely gorgeous (though they are all pretty splendid!) Sounds like the swankiest bread and butter pudding ever - my sweet tooth is aching.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, that does sound like an excellent pudding. I'm a big fan of cream too. Your friend has made a very good choice of photographer, your photos are always amazing, today I really love the top one, what a fantastic view. How wonderful it would be to live in that house. I hope your little man is all better soon and that you all enjoy your four days together. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks CJ - and we're all on the mend at last! S x

      Delete
  4. We ate Campbell's soup more often than Hienz when I was a child. Cream of Chicken or Scotch Broth mostly. But my mother also made soup which was delicious and hearty. Anyway, that was just an aside. Well done on being asked to take wedding photos. It's great now with digital cameras. You can take as many photos as you want and then pick the best. My uncle took the photos at my cousin's wedding - years ago - and lost the films. Oops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear! Between that and the fact that most of them always seemed blurred or ruined... it seems so long ago, having to collect your photos like that.

      Delete
  5. I am hopeless excited about pancakes next week tooo x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sarah love the photos. Your mention of the library reminded me of a time long ago when I would spend much time in there after I came out of school. Joe looks nice and cosy in his pushchair. I am so pleased to have found your blog Lynne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I'm glad you found it! It's always nice to know people enjoy my pictures and ramblings... x

      Delete
  7. How exciting that you will be photographing a wedding. You have such a distinctive and imaginative photographic style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Annie! I'm considering investing in another lens and memory card... and need some night photography practice (scary prospect).

      Delete
  8. Oh the joy of a double decker bus to a small chap. Lovely x

    I've really enjoyed your atmospheric shots as ever. After another office bound, phone-tied day they have been food for the soul. Your photos for your friend's wedding will be very treasured I'm sure. Thanks for the reminder of the Mitford book, I've been meaning to read that.

    Thanks for the lovely comment on my blog. Love to hear if you score the perfect dresser on ebay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will find one, I'm determined like that!
      Glad you like the photos. And the Mitford book is very good. I read 'The Mitford Girls' a few years ago and enjoyed it. I think I developed a bit of an obsession with them actually...

      Delete
  9. Hey Sarah,
    Ooh I'm very excited for you and your wedding gig. You have such a good eye for detail and composition. Lunch out is a very rare treat here. I don't count MacDonald's asl unch. It's a rare trip there too, and I just have coffee. Although I do quite like the fries ;)) Marc is not working on Fridays at the mo, but I haven't persuaded him to 'do lunch' yet. I wonder if he'll agree to a pastie in the car tomorrow? We could sit and look at a view.....
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Leanne!
      I too like their fries. And I get the occasional craving for those dreadful chocolate milkshakes too.
      Nothing wrong with eating in the car and looking out - must do that again soon! My parents always had a stock of condiments, knives (plastic - not offensive weaponry as far as I know), forks and napkins in the car ready for those stops at the bakery/chippy :)
      S x

      Delete
  10. How exciting about the wedding!! I hope that you love it and that they love the pictures - which I am sure they will!! I hope too that Joe is feeling much better soon. Enjoy your short week/long weekend! xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. That pudding does sound rather delicious and how exciting to be asked to photograph a wedding. I always love the photos on your blog, so I'm sure you will capture some fab wedding ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - I intend to take loads then there are bound to be some good ones in amongst the bad!

      Delete
  12. You'll be a great wedding photographer, Sarah. I can't remember a photo on your blog I haven't admired. Enjoy your extra family days with Jay. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christina. The wedding will be right up my street - lots of snaps and the opportunity to seek out those little details :)

      Delete
  13. I am sure you will take the most beautiful pictures for your friend's wedding, your photos are always amazing. We love the Velveteen Rabbit too it's a lovely book we have a dog eared copy somewhere...........how wonderful to find signs of spring we went looking for them earlier in the week but none were to be found......yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. And I found the Velveteen Rabbit quite emotional (maybe it was my mood that day, maybe not).
      I'm sure you'll spot some little Spring signs - we now have a little clump of purple crocus which have suddenly appeared by the gate.

      Delete
  14. How exciting! I have no doubt your wedding photography will be beautiful! You certainly have an eye for it! I'm loving the signs of spring popping up! We've had a really busy February so far and I am relishing the thought of a quiet week soon. Bee xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very exciting news that you're doing the wedding photography. The bride and groom are very lucky to have such a talented photographer take their pics. Beautiful shot of Joe too (we have the same buggy in green but your is considerably cleaner than ours!) and I'm so pleased to see signs of spring here too...it's put a proper spring in my step. xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Picture number 1 is beautiful. So pretty. so well composed.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...