Saturday 11 October 2014

Off grid



Well, almost. I've been trying to get a few walks in recently - alone. Walking without glancing at my phone or talking to anyone. Just letting my mind wander and taking in the sights, sounds, smells. The light and colour.


I've written about walking alone before, and my first submission for Folklings was about the joys of solitude. It doesn't take a life-changing event to realise the importance of time spent alone to just be.


Yesterday, as the daylight was fading, I went for a wander around the village. The air smelt of woodsmoke. I peeped in a few windows whilst passing and saw farmhouse walls with plates hanging on them, and cosy rooms with bookcases and lamps lit.


Today was beautiful: bright, a bit chilly and just begging me to come and join it. So I did. Jay took Joe out to meet up with his mum and I went out for a ramble. Just a phone (silent mode), a doorkey, a few tissues and some lip balm for company.


And, of course, my camera.


There's someone I follow on Pinterest and she has a board called 'Emotional Landscapes'. Well, this particular walk is an emotional landscape to me. It holds a lot of memories and evokes a lot of good feelings.


There were lots of details to savour: flame-coloured leaves, jewel-like berries, sulphur-hued fungi...


Structural seedheads...


And general October prettiness.


I was also lucky to spot a kingfisher darting along just above the river: a flash of brilliant turquoise. No, I didn't get a photo. It was too fast.


Then I saw a bird hopping from rock to rock, bobbing up and down and singing. On my return home I looked it up: a Dipper, apparently. My first ever one.


There was the odd little robin flitting about. And a curious (and thin) pony. Looks like he needs a bit of something.




Once I found myself back in civilisation I noticed a few more things: scarlet leaves and, in the park, the ground lookIng like a retro fabric design.


I brought home a few little treasures too. A beautifully-coloured hydrangea head...


And, for Joe, another feather for the collection. Ditto conkers.


Not pictured: a bag of treacle toffee procured from the newsagent.


Then home to an empty house for a cup of tea and some short-lived, but still much appreciated, peace and quiet.

Have a wonderful weekend.

P.S. Apologies if there are any typos - we have an unexpected visitor so proof-reading's a bit difficult!



27 comments:

  1. A walk alone is a wonderful thing. I'm glad you had such a nice one, the conkers are such a pretty, rich color.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What beautiful photos. I'm glad you managed a little solitude in the woods, it's good for the soul isn't it. I hope you have a good Sunday too. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. walking is so good for you in so many ways, I always feel so much more grounded when I've been for a walk x and you took lovely photos along the way x

    ReplyDelete
  4. please report that pony that is in no way a right situation

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jane -

      Having grown up around horses I agree that he does look thin. I know that the grazing in that paddock is very poor (as it's waterlogged much of the time) so the owners should be supplementing grass at this time of year with extra feed. Ponies can be thin also because of old age or parasites.

      His ribs shouldn't be showing through a winter coat so yes, I'll get in touch with the local animal shelter to see what they have to say.

      Sarah.

      Delete
  5. Such beautiful photos. I loved reading about your autumnal walk :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! May there be many more...

      Delete
    2. Perfect time of year for some solitary wandering and the pictures from your walk are lovely (as always). That is one under- nourished looking pony, though. I'm sure your local RSPCA would check it out (my friend recently contacted the branch here about a horse she was concerned about and they did just that).

      Delete
    3. Hello! Yes, I'll make a call tomorrow... hopefully they'll have a look and make sure everything's OK.
      S

      Delete
  6. Love it - despite the achey teeth...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your walk alone sounds blissful Sarah. Gorgeous photos. The green hydrangea head is very pretty and unusual. Hope you get out again soon. Bee xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bee - The hydrangea head is an incredible colour: almost turquoise. I just had to take one (it's only very small and there were lots and lots of them). Not that I'm condoning picking flowers from parks as it's naughty.
      S x

      Delete
  8. Solitude is so blissful at times isn't it. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. A gorgeous set of photos. Glad to hear that you are taking care of that pony. It looks at though it is appealing to you for help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And yes, I did my bit - hopefully all will be well with the pony and he'll look a bit plumper next time I see him :)

      Delete
  10. I've started to really savour moments alone of late. It only recently dawned on me just how much time I spend alone - and how much I enjoy it x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good, isn't it? I'd hate to be one of those people who can't cope with being alone, even for an hour or two. It preserves my sanity!
      S x

      Delete
  11. Beautiful photos Sarah and nature sure is absolutely fantastic right now. Like a huge colorful firework just before winter sets in. I'm hopelessly in love with autumn. And sometimes you just need those walks alone. Just to be alone with your thoughts and feelings.

    I hope you'll have a lovely week Sarah.

    Charlie
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You too! And that you get a chance to savour the season... the weather's taken a turn for the worse here so it's all about staying warm and drinking tea.
      S x

      Delete
  12. Such beautiful photos of your walk. It's great to get out and see what this gorgeous season has to offer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could live in perpetual autumn, I think!

      Delete
  13. Lovely photos, I love Autumn walks - out in the fresh air, collecting random bits and pieces (haven't the conkers been fab this year?), peeking through windows into cosy homes as it starts to get dark, then coming home to one's own (hopefully cosy!) home. Treacle toffee sounds perfect, you've put me in the mood!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't resist it at this time of year. That and apples and parkin... and yes, it's been a great year for conkers. I can't resist those either!

      Delete
  14. Such beautiful photos Sarah. I find it hard to completely switch off and just be...it's not in my nature. I have to watch TV and do something else at the same time. It's not that often I get time alone now...just when the ABO is on lates and the girls are asleep. I don't mind being on my own...a chance to regroup!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the same - always multi tasking. Which is probably why it's best for me to get outdoors as there are no distractions (ironing pile, paperwork etc)... Time alone is good but often hard to come by.
      I used to live alone and was perfectly happy. Not that I'd swap my situation now, of course!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...