Wednesday 26 June 2013

Dahlia


One of my favourite, favourite flowers. We have several - in various colours - growing outside. The one I'm most looking forward to hasn't even got a bud yet but will be white and purply-red. My mum told me they used to grow red and white dahlias in Poland when she was little.


There are lots of those huge daisies growing around here at the moment, but not in the garden. Other whites we do have: trailing geraniums, alpine strawberry flowers and something I can't identify (it's not a weed but I have no idea what it's called).


After photographing this bloom I put it in a heavy glass vase. I think it might end up on the bedside table.

Joining in with Lou's Nature in the Home.

13 comments:

  1. oh my...these pictures are amazing! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! White flowers were probably a good choice to photograph on such a gloomy day..

      Delete
  2. What a treat to have this by your bed - such a lot of flower!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're quite 'painterly' aren't they? I love dahlias. In fact I considered Dahlia for a girl's name... before we found out we were having a boy!

      Delete
  3. Truly jealous, cannot manage to grow dahlias for some reason. Your photos are beautiful, katie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And these were a cheat, ready-grown and a gift from a friend... we just planted them outside.

      We do have some grown from those rhizome things though. I think they're native to Mexico so like it warm, bright and well-drained if that helps?

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks! They're quite extravagant-looking somehow.

      I usually like native flowers but always make an exception for these. I love peonies too...

      Delete
  5. Beautiful! Such gorgeous photo's. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - a compliment indeed, considering your lovely photography x

      Delete
  6. Stunning! I think white flowers of whatever variety are always my absolute favourite :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...