Thursday 25 April 2013

A Room of One's Own...



...or at least a desk. Putting our house up for sale has brought up the inevitable question of what we'll be looking for in the next place. And although we plan to rent initially, there are some things which are non-negotiable. 

At the moment I have no work space. I use the kitchen table sometimes but it's only a small, cafe-type affair so you can't get much on it. And then there's the whole putting things away afterwards thing. At the moment the printer lives in a kitchen cupboard (underneath cake tins and a popcorn maker).

My sewing and knitting paraphernalia are housed in the living room and the bedroom. It's all a bit scattered - not literally, of course, me being the neat-freak that I am. But it would be nice to have a dedicated space where I can blog, photo-edit, sew, make things...

I'm currently carting my laptop, a notebook and pen and a few other necessities around in the felt bag pictured above. I love the bag but I do feel a bit strange, constantly packing and unpacking, and working from either my lap or the bed.

Before Joe came along we did have a office. It started off looking like this:


And ended up like this:




These days my desk lives up in the loft and much of my photography, drawing and painting stuff is housed in the sideboard downstairs. So it would be really nice to have somewhere to be creative when we move. Maybe just a little nook somewhere. Virginia Woolf was definitely on to something (not that I actually finished the book - I spent much of my first year as a student living it up when I should have been reading. Maybe I'll give it another try one day).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...